An elegant, perfumed expression of the Yarra Valley, this wine is well structured, full of juicy red fruit and violet characters, superbly balanced with smooth tannins.
At release, the wine has a cherry red colour to the centre with a vibrant purple hue to the edges.
There is a delicate perfume of red cherry and raspberry with underlying delicate spice.
This is a light to medium-bodied wine with a supple yet generously flavoured palate. On the palate, there is vibrant red fruit flavours with hints of tart raspberry and lithe tannins. The finish is long, graceful and wonderfully persistent
The oak regime employed for this wine included predominantly French oak (tight-grained which is air seasoned for 3 years) ?20% new and the remaining 80% 1 to 2 year old. The wine remained in oak for approximately 10 months after which minimal fining and filtration are performed prior to bottling.
In the Yarra valley, winter was very cold and drier than average in the lead up to vintage 2017. The valley experienced many frosts, with temperatures going down as low as -5 degrees. Snowfall occurred in the valley down as low as 300m. Spring started in the same fashion, with a very high frost risk due to cold nights and dry ground. There were numerous violent thunderstorms and heavy rainfall throughout spring, including a significant hail fall. Fortunately the hail occurred early in fruit set, and did not impact crops. Glorious warm weather in the second half of November saw vineyards flourish through flowering and fruit-set across all varieties, and a strong crop was set. The weather flipped completely in the New Year. Dry, fine conditions prevailed from early January to early April. The valley only had one significant rain event throughout the ripening period. Fortunately, mild days and cool nights mitigated against vine stress. A benign run of fine weather continued through to the end of vintage with Pinot Noir in the valley picked in the first two weeks of March.
Crafted for immediate enjoyment but will cellar over a medium term under ideal conditions.
Single: 750ml bottle, Case: 6 x 750ml bottle