Taylors Heritage Label Shiraz crowned International Champion
We are celebrating a huge accomplishment after achieving a 100-point rating and receiving the ‘International Champion’ trophy for our Taylors Heritage Label Shiraz 2022 at the 20th annual VINUS International Wine & Spirits Competition, which was announced on Sunday 29th October 2023.
Our Clare Valley Shiraz was rated against more than 580 samples from 15 different countries by a jury of recognised international wine experts, sommeliers, and journalists. This is the second consecutive year we have won this prestigious award, having won the same trophy for our Estate Shiraz 2020 last year. This is the first time a winery has won the International Champion title back to back.
“This is such exciting news for our winery - not only have we taken out a major trophy for our wine, but the judges deemed it to be worthy of 100 points. It’s phenomenal,” - Mitchell Taylor (Third-generation Winemaker and Managing Director).
“The Heritage Shiraz is a special wine that celebrates the heritage of our family winery and takes inspiration from our very first vintage release in 1973. Fifty years on, we are proud to represent the Clare Valley and South Australia and its awards like this that help showcase the quality of Australian wines to the world.”
In addition to the major trophy, we also took home the Best Series of Five Wines in Competition Award and a total of six Double Gold and ten Gold medals. Two other Double Gold medal winners in the portfolio, The Visionary Cabernet Sauvignon 2019 and The Pioneer Shiraz 2019, both received 99 points from the judges.
This is welcome news, as we continue to battle alongside the wider industry in the face of ongoing trade and economic challenges. In July, Wine Australia reported the continued decline in Australian wine exports, with the value of exports declining by 10 per cent in the last financial year, compounded by the crippling trade tariffs of more than 200% placed on Australian exports into China enacted in late 2020.
But there is renewed hope within the industry following the announcement that Chinese officials will commence a five month review of the tariffs with the hopes they will be dropped.
“We’re optimistic of what the future looks like for our industry, particularly now as China looks to re-open to Australian exports. We’re very excited about getting back into the market and telling the story of premium Australian wine to China’s many wine consumers,” - Taylor.
“I’ve spent most of my life working in the wine industry, and the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that not every year can be rosy. In fact, this is the hardest I’ve seen over my last three decades working in the wine industry. One thing is certain - the wine community knows how to navigate itself during challenging times to come out stronger on the other side. Winning this award is one of those times we get to come together and celebrate.”
Our Heritage Label Shiraz 2022 is crafted from fruit grown at the Clare Valley estate. The wine has enticing, lifted aromas of plum, black currant and dark cherry with a subtle undertone of mocha and spice. The palate is plump and generous, with ripe blackberry and plum characters. Mocha and coffee notes balance the dense fruit flavours, with fleshy, supple tannins rounding out the long finish.
This significant award rounds out a successful year of wine awards for Clare Valley winemakers, with Kilikanoon Wines taking the trophy for Best of Show Australia Red for its 2019 Oracle Shiraz at the Mundus Vini Grand International Wine Awards in Germany and locally, Paulett Wines won the award for Best Wine of the 2023 Challenge at the Canberra International Riesling Challenge for its 2022 Pauletts Alison Riesling.
The Heritage Label Shiraz 2022 is available now at our Cellar Door and online - Click here to shop now.
Taylors award-winning wines at this year’s VINUS 2023 International Wine & Spirits Competition:
Currently in stock
- Double Gold: Taylors Heritage Label Shiraz 2022 - Top Ten VINUS 2023
- Double Gold: Taylors Reserve Parcel Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre 2021
- Double Gold: Taylors Reserve Parcel Cabernet Sauvignon 2021
- Gold: Taylors Estate Shiraz 2021
- Gold: Taylors Jaraman Shiraz 2021
- Gold: Taylors St Andrews Shiraz 2020
- Gold: Taylors Jaraman Cabernet Sauvignon 2021
- Gold: Taylor Made Cabernet Malbec 2021
- Gold: Taylors Reserve Parcel Shiraz 2021
- Gold: Taylors St Andrews Riesling 2023
Upcoming Vintage releases
- Double Gold: Taylors The Visionary Cabernet Sauvignon 2019 - Top Ten VINUS 2023
- Double Gold: Taylors The Pioneer Shiraz 2019 - Top Ten VINUS 2023
- Double Gold: Taylors St Andrews Cabernet Sauvignon 2020
- Gold: Taylors Special Release Shiraz 2021
- Gold: Taylors St Andrews Chardonnay 2022
- Gold: Taylors Premium Release Cabernet Sauvignon 2021
Taylors Heritage Label Shiraz 2022 is currently available from the following stockists:
The wine is available from duty-free outlets:
- Heinemann Sydney & Gold Coast Airports Duty Free outlet
- Lotte Melbourne Airport Duty Free outlet
You can also find the wine available in restaurants and on-premise venues:
- Kiama Golf Club Ltd in Kiama Downs - 02 4237 7300
- Oaks Hotel in Neutral Bay - 02 9953 5515
- Royal Motor Yacht Club Of New South Wales in Point Piper - 02 9327 6828
- Tattersalls Hotel in Armidale - 02 6772 2247
- Angourie Rainforest Resort in Yamba - 02 6646 8600
- Bowral Golf Club Ltd in Bowral - 02 4861 1042
- Commerical Hotel in Ulmarra - 02 6644 5305
- Lawrence Tavern in Lawrence - 02 6647 7213
- Moore Park Inn Motel in Armidale - 02 6772 2358
- Novotel Pacific Bay Resort in Coffs Harbour - 02 6659 7000
- Yamba Golf and Country Club in Yamba - 02 6646 2104
- Royal Hotel in Capertee - 02 6359 0172
- Tattersalls Hotel in Inverell - 02 6722 3437
- Chine On Paramount in Melbourne - 03 9663 6556
- Covent Garden Hotel in Haymarket - 02 9211 1745
- Kempsey Macleay RSL Club in Kempsey - 02 6562 6900
- Plough Hotel in Footscray - 03 9687 2070
- White Bull in Armidale - 02 6772 3833
- Brushgrove Hotel in Brushgrove - 02 6647 6201
- Grange Hotel in Wyoming - 02 4328 4933
- Pier Hotel in Coffs Harbour - 02 6652 2110
- Stuyvesants House in Crows - 02 9439 7155
- Toro Robatayaki in Wollongong - 02 4211 4129